Author of the memoir, "Where Did My Life Go?"

Author of the memoir, "Where Did My Life Go?"
My FREE short story Memoir Available Worldwide on Amazon and iBooks (Click the Picture Above)

Friday, January 25, 2013

Couple of my old bands I played drums for in San Francisco

POISIN JETT GUNS - SUPERFAST RIDE


A review of my other band, milktooth, that I played with in San Francisco and we then moved to Los Angeles. I had to leave Poisin Jett Gunz which in hindsight was probably a mistake although I would of never had such a great time working at Tower Records on Sunset Strip in West Hollywood. Couple of fun facts: Rivers Cuomo of Weezer worked at the same Tower Records and I have read in the Guns n' Roses book, "Watch You Bleed" that Axl and Slash worked across the street at Tower video and Axl even slept behind Tower when he was running from the cops as I had to do, when my van was towed. Blurb from the book, "Then Axl heard undercover cops were doing surveillance on their alley, looking for him because Michelle was sticking by her rape claim and wanted to press charges. Axl was a wanted man. He took to the streets. He slept under the canopy of the loading dock at Tower Records. A dumpster behind Sunset Plaza offered shelter".

From: Left Off The Dial

Milktooths EP offering is warm and comforting, and I cannot quite figure out why. It could be the familiarity of Rebecca Hills voice to a band I have seen in the past, though I dont even remember who they were. What I do know is that I dig her vocals, and I think they are a powerful element of the music.




The overall tone of this EP leans heavily to the more aggressive side of the musical spectrum. There is nothing terribly different going on here, but it is all put together well enough to produce a welcome change to monotony that exists in much music these days especially with bands that claim to be heavy or loud rock bands. Sometimes, and in Milktooths case, a progression of fantastic bass lines goes a long way. These are brought to us courtesy of Rebecca Hill. Milktooths other members are Josh Chase (vocals/guitar) and Kevin Sanders (drums).



The press kit for Californias Milktooth reads, Milktooths style continues to evolve, from dramatically moody to experimentally raw. I would certainly agree that their music is dramatically moody and it works for them. Experimentally raw is a stretch though, as there doesnt seem to be much experimentation going on here, unless they are referring to their own experimentation during recording or maybe those synth sounds that pop up on several of the tracks. The one drawback to this recording is the quality of the recording itself. These guys could benefit from a good studio session.



When Milktooth get around to producing a better recorded album, I would check it out. In the meantime, if you are in the Los Angeles area, catch them live if you get the chance.


I'll leave you with this poem:

Written - Jan. 13th, 2013 7:13 p.m.




I AM NOT BETTER THAN THEM

AS A HUMAN BEING

BUT I KNOW

I AM BETTER THAN

THEIR SITUATION



I DON'T KNOW

LIKE THEY THINK THEY DO

WHAT THEY HAVE BEEN THROUGH



ALL I CAN TELL YOU

IS THAT

I HAVE BEEN BLESSED

WITH THIS GIFT

TO WRITE A SONG

TO SING ALONG



EXPLAIN MY PAIN

HOPEFULLY TO RELATE

SO WE CAN ALL

GET THROUGH THE RAIN



I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE

I KNOW THIS IS TRUE



WHY CAN'T WE ALL

JUST GET ALONG

AND MAKE THIS A BEAUTIFUL WORLD



ALL TOGETHER BETTER

COME AS ONE

TO SATISFY

THE HUMAN NEEDS

FOR ALL



AS SEPARATION

LEADS US TO TEMPTATION

UNNECESSARY DISCRIMINATION

CONFLICTING COMPETITION

GETS NOTHING DONE

ONLY REVERSE

THE DIRECTION

WE ALL WISH TO ACHIEVE



WE HAVE TO BELIEVE

IN OUR DREAMS

FOLLOW THROUGH


FOR THEM TO BECOME TRUE

EVEN THOUGH

WE MAY NOT KNOW

WHAT THE FUTURE MAY BRING

WE MUST TRY

IN ORDER

TO SUCCEED



-Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed, have fun and throw away your gun. Hate + Guns = Violence = Death + Destruction = Silence








No comments:

Post a Comment